Friday, March 20, 2015

Naked Lemon Cake

This was my first time making a naked cake!

I used the same lemon cake recipe I've used before, with a basic blackberry buttercream. This was baked in two 6" cake pans, so I made half of the usual recipe. I torted the layers, then layered them with the buttercream. I scraped the outside with a bench scraper to neaten the sides. I used toothpicks to attach the blackberries and floral wire to attach the dried lavender and carnations, then sifted powdered sugar over the whole cake.

Blackberry Buttercream
1 c. softened salted butter
3-4 c. powdered sugar
pinch salt
puree from ~.25 c. blackberries (sifted to remove seeds)
a touch of aqua food coloring to balance out the pink from the blackberries

Beat butter with the paddle attachment until it starts to look lighter and fluffier (3-ish minutes). Sift in powdered sugar in 3-4 batches and beat at high speed for 30-ish seconds after each addition. Add in salt, then the pureed blackberries. Adjust color if desired.



with dried lavender, carnations, and blackberries



close-up view

sliced!

1 comment: