Thursday, July 24, 2014

Carrot Spice Muffins

I wanted to try a new muffin recipe last night. Because carrot cake is delicious, I decided to make the carrot spice muffins from Gluten Free Baking Classics. I'm posting Annalise's recipe (with her permission!), and adding my changes in bold. I didn't do much differently, because this was my first time trying this recipe. I like my muffins to be massive, so I always bake 6 jumbo muffins instead of 12 normal-sized ones - that means that I lower the oven temperature to 325°, and bake for an extra 10-12 minutes.

Truly gluten-free nuts can be hard to find, but Nuts.com has a gluten-free section that is all certified. I omitted the nuts because I simply didn't have any safe ones I could use.

Lastly, I used parchment paper squares to line the muffin tins. I found a blog with a description of the method I used -- it's much easier than trying to find paper liners that fit the jumbo muffin tin!

Carrot Spice Muffins
makes 12 muffins (or 6 jumbo ones)

2 cups Brown Rice Flour Mix
2/3 cup granulated sugar (I used 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
(1/4 teaspoon ground ginger)
(1/8 teaspoon cloves)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely shredded carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (omitted)
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon sugar for garnish
Additional shredded coconut for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350° (325° for jumbo). Position rack in center of oven. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. Mix flour. sugar. baking powder. baking soda. xanthan gum. cinnamon. nutmeg. and salt in large mixing bowl. Add carrots. walnuts.
and coconut; stir to coat evenly.
3. Combine milk and oil in small bowl; remove 1 tablespoon of combined liquid and discard it. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add liquids to
flour mixture and stir until just blended.
4. Fill muffin pans 2/3 full. Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar (and untoasted shredded coconut - it will toast while the muffins bake). Bake 18-25 (28-35 for jumbo) minutes until light golden. Remove from pan and serve
immediately or cool on a rack.


And here is a picture of the finished muffins!

The finished muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment